Saturday 7 September 2013

Day 2 - Friday, September 6, 2013

The gang arrives.

I got up early and left Cranbrook by 6:00am (5:00am BC time).  As I drove up the river, there was lots of glassy water.  I arrived in hood river at about 1:30.  The guy's had just finished repairing Rene's Roof Rack.

There is a rough patch of road on Hwy 22 South of the Nanton/Chain Lakes road.  It is signed at 50kph.  I took it at 55-60kph and thought Wow!  that was rough.  Apparently if you take it at 100-120kph (probably closer to 120 - because Rene said he was really pushing it), and if you have a large board rack on the top of your vehicle - you sustain damage.  Kent said it was pretty exciting.



The forecast was for possible light wind in the East late in the day.  About 4:00pm Kent, Rene and I decided we would go to Ruffas.  We did a quick stop at the house.  I ran in to my room, went to the washroom, got my bathing suit, and ran out to the Car.  In that short time, the plan changed and most of us headed to Dougs.  Unfortunately Al didn't get the message, so he headed to Ruffas....

The wind at Doug's was light.  Kent want out first .   we watched him drift around, although he did get Planing twice for short rides.  Mike also went out.....

After an hour - I decided that if these guy's couldn't get going, there was no way I could, so I went back to the house to unpack.

The windsurfing world is very small.  As I was packing up, I started talking with a family (Mark and Maryanne, who have a little girl.  They go to Nitinat all the time, and our good friend Jen Carlyle babysits for them while they are there.....

I met up with Karen, Handre, Lazelle, and Al.  We had a glass of wine at the house, and then went downtown to enjoy a street festival that was going on.  We also checked out a film and wine tasting festival.

Kent - Wind Dummy

Jim S - I don't care what the water looks like - I;m Rigging!

Harold with his "Super Freak"


Handre and the Girls - heading down town!
After a couple of hours, most of us met up at 6th Street for supper.  Apparently the guy's owe me big time for leaving, because as soon as I left, the wind picked up. Blaine, Jim S, Brad, Mike Kent, and Harold got out on big gear for an hour or two.  They told us it was the "Best Sailing Ever:!! We believed them of course!


Having a beer at 6th Street

Having a beer at 6th Street

Big Air Jim was excited about the great sailing!

Duhhhh


No comments:

Post a Comment